Friday, October 3, 2014

Baby Mortimer Post #2 or Microscopic Colitis is Ruining My Groove

What in the world is happening to my body?? This isn't just normal pregnancy complaints. It has got me monthly appointments with my GI doctor, an endoscopy, an ultrasound of my leg and abdominal organs, the discovery that my body is giving signs of malnutrition, and strict instructions from my doctor to eat more calories. I tracked my calories for 6 days. I normally eat almost 2,000 a day. I am to eat 7-9 times a day with boost, ensure, or the like in between.  The problem? My Microscopic Colitis is at it again.

Here is a quick course of MC 101:

Basically, I have microscopic inflammation in my intestines. It causes chronic diarrhea, nausea, and joint pain. All medical information on this is over 40 years old. And most of it is wrong. It is looked at as an "old person" nuisance disease, with no treatment other than to just deal with it. I probably know more about MC than most GI doctors in Utah. When I go to a new doctor, I have to explain what it is, as it is not very common. (That, or it is just mis-diagnosed in most cases)

So, what have CAN I do about it?

I was treating it with oils before I got pregnant. However, the oils I was using (ginger, lemongrass, Di-Gize, and others) and the amount I was using them is not safe while pregnant. So, I'm just biding my time and wading through my flare-ups. And trying to eat more.

My endoscopy came back good, with a small sign of acid reflux. No celiac.  I was half convinced that was part of the problem.  Well, back to the drawing board. My doctor wants to do that procedure where you swallow the camera-pill, however, it has to wait until Clark is born. If that comes back clean, then the next step is a CAT scan of my intestines.  Sounds expensive.

My biggest concern is that this can affect Clark. I read a medical study that found a correlation between uncontrolled Ulcerative Colitis and preterm birth. Now, UC and MC are worlds different, but Sara (my little one who I placed for adoption 5 years ago -- read my adoption story HERE) was born early. Exactly four weeks early.  I worry little Clark will be born early as well, and that he will be too small, or not developed enough, or whatever.

My next Baby Mortimer post will be about my feelings of being pregnant after choosing to place my first baby. There will be tears. Lots and lots and lots of tears. (your's may be because of my terrible writing, but whatever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment